Q. What is Aviation Management?

A. Infect, what we do to keep the things right in aviation is called as management. If you’re interested in a career path related to aviation but do not necessarily want to become a pilot, a concentration in aviation management is a better way. If desired, you can still achieve a pilot license with this degree from any flying club. Aviation management covers every slot in the entire aviation industry except aircraft maintenance. Similarly, BS AMET covers the management of aircraft engineer technology in aviation. 

Q. What Jobs can be foreseen in the field of Aviation after Degree Graduation?

A. There are number of career paths available to every student in both, aviation management and aviation maintenance technology. From pilots to airport managers, if you’re interested in this industry, our aviation degrees are a great way to start your career. The BS Aviation Management degree prepares students for professional careers in aviation security, airline marketing management, human factors in aviation, airport management, and airline marketing management, aviation strategy and policy and airlines financial/sales management area and so on. More details in this regard you may obtain more information on this page as well.

Q. What about Master degree in aviation? Does IAS offer the same?

A. Yes……! A 2-Year Master degree i.e. MSc. in Air Transport is being offered by UMT offering with the collaboration of Turkish Aviation Academy (TAA),Istanbul,Turkey under an MoU. This master degree program will be studied at TAA, Istanbul, Turkey. Master degree helps to serve the needs and facilitate the development in air transport sector of emerging aviation.

Q. How should I apply in IAS programs?

A. Applications are submitted through our website and manually as well. Land at UMT website then route to follow the procedure to apply, does not matter you are here around UMT or away even abroad.

Q. How many degree programs does IAS offer in the Aviation?

A. IAS, UMT offers three degree programs in aviation

  • BS Aviation Management (in IAS,UMT)
  • BA Aircraft Maintenance Engineer`s Technology (in IAS,UMT)
  • MSc. Air Transport Management (at Turkish Aviation Academy, Istanbul,Turkey)

Q. What type of value-added courses does IAS offer in aviation with degree programs?

A. IAS, UMT is running 4-year degree programs with Licenses, training and ground courses. It is also a great privilege that HQs, Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority has already approved this university, first in Pakistan, as an ATO (Approved Training Organization) to impart ground training on below mentioned courses (AM &AMET) for subsequent exams to be held by HQs PCAA.

4-year degree program of BSAM with Flight Operation Officer/Flight Despatcher (FOO/FD) License from HQs, Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority, Karachi

4-year degree program of BSAMET with Part-66 (B1.2/B3) License from EASA-approved AERO-Bildung, GmbH, Germany.

Link tab 3 (aviation courses/training/license)

Q. How big are classes at IAS, UMT compared to other schools of aviation?

A. Students enrolled in a IAS, UMT aviation degree concentration enjoy small class sizes and a strong sense of community. Students receive one-on-one attention, personalized guidance and hands-on opportunities that would not be possible in an aviation degree programs at other universities.

Q. When can I begin these programs?

A. New students may enter in these programs at the beginning of any semester and the only limitation on the number of students is classroom size. In the event that a class is overbooked, it will usually be broken into two sections of classes.

Q. Can I complete the program through evening courses?
Aviation Management courses are on day time class only. But in the mid of the program, the classes are held normally in evening. One can manage it appropriately as per his/her personal commitments.

Q. What is ICAO English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT)?  Is that for BSAM students?

A. As per ICAO, the   language for the PPL/CPL/ALPT categories of pilots is an English to be adopted as compulsory and that too under specific level i.e level-4 & above so that communication between pilot and Air Traffic Controller could be held effectively for high degree of safety. IAS in UMT has been authorized by PCAA as an ELPT center. This test is for all categories of civil pilots in Pakistan. This is not for any student of BSAM, BSAMET or MSc. ATM programs.

Q. What type of subject studies the students of BSAM may go through?

A. We have already given a complete road-map of BSAM, BSAMET & MSc. ATM containing non-aviation and aviation subjects in total, for your studies.


AQ. re Scholarships available to aviation students in their programs?

A. Aviation related scholarships are not available through the Institute of Aviation Studies at UMT, however, the scholarships are given to aviation students also by the UMT on different merits as mentioned in the website of this university. You may go through it, now.

Q. Can I visit Institute Aviation Studies to see aviation faculty and the environment of UMT?

A. We highly recommend to visit us at any day during working hours. We also encourage to even attend any aviation class to observe the teaching activities. Before visit, please co-ordinate us telephonically. 

Q. What type of qualifications and professional experiences does have your senior faculty & staff in IAS?

A. Our senior faculty & staff have relevant qualifications and vast experience of different kinds of professional knowledge. Beside this, in order to maintain university-industry linkages, there are serving faculty from various departments of aviation industry to act as a visiting teacher. This helps students to keep them abreast with upcoming changes in aviation industry.


Q. Are summer aviation classes available?


A. No summer classes are available for incoming freshmen. All freshmen must start the Aviation program in the fall of their first year. 

Q. Is Institute of Aviation Studies a member of the any International Association of Aviation?

A. Yes, IAS is also holds the privilege of being the member of University Aviation Association (UAA),USA among the international universities having aviation departments in its setup, Turkish Aviation Academy (TAA),AERO-Bildung, GmbH, Germany.

Q. What is the difference between an Aircraft Maintenance Engineering (AME) and Aeronautical Engineering?

A. Aircraft Maintenance Engineer`s program deals with maintaining the aircrafts to keep it all the time airworthy and also certifying to be fit for flight. This is purely a technical knowledge and profession about aircrafts. Aeronautical Engineering is concerned with design and manufacture of an aircraft or spacecraft.

Q. Which are the regulatory bodies who issue licenses you offer?

A. The European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) is an agency of the European Union (EU) with regulatory powers and executive tasks in the field of civilian aviation safety. An EASA-approved ‘Member State’LBA (The Civil Aviation Authority of Germany),Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority will issue the relevant licenses, upon successful completion of training examination held by regulatory-body concerned subject after passing of all required modules and with sufficient work experience in the aviation.

 Q. Which parts of an aircraft would I be maintaining as an AME?

A. A Category “B1” license holder may issue certificates of release to service (CRS) after maintenance, including aircraft structure, power plant, mechanical & electrical systems, and after replacement of such avionic line replaceable units which require simple tests to prove their serviceability.

Category “B2” license holders may issue certificates of release to service (CRS) following maintenance on avionic and electrical systems.

When enrolling for your degree program, you will enrol for a B1.2/B3 license.

  • Category B1.2 Aeroplanes Piston
  • Category B3 is applicable to piston-engine non-pressurised aeroplanes of 2 000 kg MTOM and below.

 Q. How much period it takes to complete degree program of AMET?

A. It is a 4-year degree program.

Q. What is the work experience required to become a fully Licensed AME?

A. After you graduate from an unapproved EASA part-147 training centre, you would need to work in the aviation industry for up to 3 years, which covers a series of relevant tasks, before you apply for your B1.2 license.

Q. What is the difference between pursuing a degree in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering and a Licensed based program?

A. Generally, the aviation industry requires an individual to have a licence to certify an aircraft. In most cases, degree holders are required to acquire a licence before they are able to become a full-fledged AME, which entails the completion of the Licensing Program. Acquiring a licence is the fastest route to becoming a Licensed AME.

Q. Where would I work when I get my AMET Degree /Licence?

A. Airlines and Maintenance, Repair and Overhaul (MRO) organizations. You can choose to work anywhere in the world with the internationally acclaimed EASA licence.

Q. With my AME licence, would I be able to fly?

A. Flying and AMET does not have compatibility to each other, therefore, you do not  need to acquire a pilot licence to fly since you have opted AMET as your profession.Just concentrate over it.

Q. Would the course be predominantly theoretical or practical?

A. AMET training involves both theoretical and practical aspect of things. During the course of the degree, the students will go through a sequence of subjects and corresponding practical training, hands-on experience on operational aircrafts at an airport..

Q. Where can I find the details of the courses I would be studying?

A. The detailed road-map of courses can be found under the ‘Program Details’ section on this page of website.

Q. How do I get started?

A. You just call or send us an e-mail to set an appointment with one of our counsellors.

© Copyright UMT, 2015. All Rights reserved.

Website Credits: OCM-UMT Back to Top
Institute of Aviation Studies